Congenital heart conditions are among the most common birth defects in the United States, affecting 40,000 newborns each year. They vary widely in severity, from simple problems that can be repaired with minimally invasive procedures, to complex anatomy that must be corrected or improved in stages.
Our pediatric cardiologists have the knowledge and resources to diagnose heart defects at the earliest stages, even before birth. These board certified pediatric cardiologists and cardiovascular surgeons have highly specialized skills for repairing heart defects, and they bring advanced care to children and adults with every kind of congenital heart disease.
Recognized for Excellence
The Riley Heart Center offers nationally recognized experts who work together to give each child the best possible care. As an integral part of a leading pediatric research hospital, Riley at IU Health pediatric cardiologists are devoted to finding better solutions for heart defects and acquired heart disease through research and innovation. Riley at IU Health is ranked among the top pediatric cardiovascular programs in the nation by U.S.News & World Report and others. We are also among the top 15 of high-volume heart programs in the nation for effective outcomes. Although we handle many cases, we realize that treatment and diagnosis are first-time experiences for most families. Our pediatric cardiologists offer much more than the intricate skills that are necessary to diagnose and fix complex heart problems. Their technical competence is coupled with traits that cannot be taught: genuine interest and compassion for the patients and families they serve.
Why Riley at IU Health?
Riley at IU Health Pediatric Cardiology brings an extraordinary set of people and resources to diagnosing and treating children and adults with congenital heart defects and acquired heart disease. Our pediatric cardiologists offer a wide range of heart expertise, and Riley at IU Health gives you multiple ways to access their care. The Riley Heart Center is Indiana’s leading resource for treatment of congenital heart disease for many reasons, including:
- Convenient Access. Our pediatric cardiologists attend multiple outpatient locations across Indiana to help detect congenital heart problems in patients who have their first symptoms later in life rather than at birth. These locations offer routine follow-up care for children and adults with heart defects.
- Multidisciplinary Knowledge. Children born with complex heart anatomy or multiple health conditions are supported by a multidisciplinary team of pediatric surgeons, cardiologists and subspecialists at Riley at IU Health. We often work together to plan a series of carefully orchestrated steps performed over time. Interventional cardiologists and cardiothoracic surgeons work side by side on a single patient, performing complicated procedures in hybrid operating rooms designed to handle the most complex procedures.
- Preventative Specialists. Dedicated pediatric cardiologists provide preventative care for patients with conditions such as hypertension (high blood pressure) and hyperlipidemia.
- Coordinated Care for Lung and Heart Disease. Pediatric cardiologists and pulmonologists partner to serve patients with pulmonary hypertension, which often demands strategic care of the lungs and heart.
- Complete Diagnostic Resources. The Riley Heart Center performs all types of imaging diagnostics such as fetal echocardiograms, transthoracic and transesophageal echocardiograms, cardiac catheterizations, cardiac computed tomography (CT) and cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). We also perform electrocardiograms (ECGs), comprehensive exercise stress tests and pacemaker/defibrillator interrogations. Our heart subspecialists carefully deploy these tools by choosing the best diagnostic option for each patient.
- Genetic Counseling for Inherited Heart Disease. Nationally recognized specialists in cardiovascular genetics help diagnose inherited heart conditions, such as structural abnormalities, cardiomyopathies and arrhythmias. Patients are paired with the right specialist for their heart defect. Through genetic counseling, Riley at IU Health also offers useful knowledge for family planning and other needs that accompany inherited heart disease.
- Early Diagnosis for Unborn Children. Our pediatric cardiologists collaborate with Maternal Fetal Medicine specialists at Riley at IU Health to diagnose possible heart defects when a prenatal ultrasound suggests a heart problem. Together, we can meticulously plan a mother’s delivery and provide immediate care at birth for her baby’s congenital heart defect.
- Customized Solutions. Pediatric cardiovascular and cardiothoracic surgeons and interventional cardiologists at the Riley Heart Center work together to plan unique care for one-of-a-kind heart problems. We use a combination of innovative techniques and medical devices to improve the function of an abnormal heart.
- Heart-transplant Expertise. As one of nation’s few certified heart centers for transplants, we care for the most vulnerable patients, including those who need intravenous medicine to improve heart function, mechanical support of one ventricle or total artificial hearts to sustain them while they await a transplant.
- Philanthropic Care. While Riley at IU Health cares for children from every county in Indiana, Hoosiers are not the only children who benefit from our expertise. Riley at IU Health partners with community, national and international agencies to provide unparalleled care to kids who need it most, including those who may not be able to receive or afford that level of care close to home. As a partner in the Rotary Service Club's Gift of Life program, Riley Heart Center pediatric cardiologists and surgeons provide treatment to children from as far away as Jordan, Russia, China, Nigeria, Honduras and Afghanistan.
Riley at IU Health Pediatric Cardiology brings the best minds together from all subspecialties to provide your child or family member with optimal care.
Conditions & Services
Our pediatric specialists provide patient- and family-centered care for most related conditions. The links below provide more specific information about some, but not all, of the conditions that we treat.
We offer a number of different Pediatric Cardiology services. Below are some, but not all, of the services that we provide. If you have a question about a specific service that is not listed here, please contact our department.
In addition to our primary hospital location at the Academic Health Center in Indianapolis, IN, we have convenient locations to better serve our communities throughout the state.
Sort through 15 facilities offering Pediatric Cardiology care by entering your city or zip below.
Related Programs & Departments
Related Programs & Departments
We provide multispecialty care for a number of conditions. Below are links to our related programs & departments.
Rankings success is a point of pride for many who contribute to the Riley cardiology and heart surgery team’s national stature, including the Congenital Cardiac Anesthesia Team.Continue reading
Remains only nationally ranked children’s hospital in IndianaContinue reading
For Health Professionals
Our pediatric cardiologists work with primary care physicians to provide advanced care for children and adults with congenital heart disease.
Refer A Patient
Riley at IU Health Pediatric Cardiologists are active researchers who improve care for congenital heart disease through innovation. At any given time, they are engaged in numerous clinical trials and research to find better treatment options. A team of physicians, researchers and coordinators collect outcome data for research purposes by pediatric cardiovascular specialists, working with multiple research partners, including the Indiana University School of Medicine. Our physicians also collaborate with researchers at the Herman B Wells Center for Pediatric Research on studies related to heart failure in children.
Our pediatric cardiology department offers formal fellowship training for physicians who want to advance their experience in pediatric cardiology, critical care and cardiac surgery. Visit the Indiana University School of Medicine website for details about our fellowship program.