The Aerodigestive Program at Riley at IU Health provides care from multiple specialties to children with airway, lung, feeding and upper digestive tract disorders.
The team approach in our Aerodigestive Program helps improve the quality of care for our patients and families by involving multiple medical specialties at the same time. Our aerodigestive team includes an otolaryngologist (ear nose, and throat doctor), pulmonologist (lung doctor), gastroenterologist (upper digestive tract doctor) and speech therapist (swallowing, feeding specialist). We work together to help children with medical conditions such as:
- complex airway problems (voice box, floppy airways, lung tubes)
- lung problems (cough, asthma, wheezing)
- feeding problems (aspiration, feeding, choking)
- upper digestive tract (esophagus, stomach) problems
We discuss each child with all members of the team to determine the next best steps in evaluation and treatment. Our dedicated nurse coordinator to help families through this process.
The goals of our Aerodigestive Program are to:
- provide coordinated care from multiple specialties to our pediatric patients
- improve outcomes by coordinating appointments and any needed procedures under one sedation (procedures that require medicine to sleep) if possible
- participate in clinical research to improve long-term outcomes of children with airway, lung, feeding and upper digestive tract problems
- provide quick responses to your child’s pediatrician and referring doctors for ongoing care
- educate doctors who will be entering the field of aerodigestive care in the future
You and your child will meet with our team during your first clinic visit. We will work with you and your child’s doctor to develop a treatment plan that will provide the best outcome for your child.
Conditions & Services
We treat many different conditions. Below is more information about some, but not all, of the conditions that we treat.
We offer a number of different Aerodigestive services. Below are some, but not all, of the services that we provide. If you have a question about a specific service that is not listed here, please contact our program.
Our doctors provide expert family-centered care. Learn about our pediatric aerodigestive specialists.
We provide multispecialty care for a number of conditions. Below are links to our related departments.
For Health Professionals
The pediatric pulmonologists, gastroenterologists, otolaryngologists and speech pathologists at Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health work with you to provide advanced diagnosis and treatment for your patient. You can refer a patient and learn about our aerodigestive research and education programs.
Refer A Patient
Riley at IU Health works with referring physicians in Indiana and beyond.Refer A Patient
Visit the Section of Pediatric Pulmonology, Allergy and Sleep Medicine at Indiana University School of Medicine for information about the latest research in the field of pulmonology.
As faculty members of the Indiana University School of Medicine, we help train the next generation of pediatric pulmonologists. Our Pediatric Pulmonology Fellowship Program provides post-residency training in an atmosphere of mentorship and collaboration.