A visit to the pediatric gynecologist can be frightening to a child or teenager. That is why the Pediatric & Adolescent Gynecology Department at Riley at IU Health makes every effort to provide a comfortable and compassionate experience. Our team is sensitive to the needs of young patients. We treat each patient individually, remaining conscious of the possible psychological and social effects of gynecological care.
Services provided include:
- Preventive care and counseling. We offer confidential preventive care and counseling for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), including screening, testing and treatment for STDs and vaccinations for the human papillomavirus (HPV) infection (Gardasil).
- Menstrual management. We provide patient and family education on menstrual hygiene and options for menstrual suppression (decreasing or stopping periods) for patients who are developmentally challenged or who have bleeding disorders.
- Fertility preservation and menstrual suppression during chemotherapy. If your child is being treated for cancer, we can help with fertility preservation as well as menstrual suppression to prevent blood loss during chemotherapy.
- Transitional or continued gynecologic care. We provide transitional or continued gynecologic care for patients with congenital conditions.
We care for common and complex gynecologic and reproductive conditions, including:
- Precocious puberty
- Delayed puberty
- Abnormal development of reproductive structures
- Disorders of sexual development
- Ovarian insufficiency
- Hymen abnormalities
- Labial adhesions
- Lichen sclerosus
- Menstrual problems
- Ovarian cysts
- Pelvic and ovarian tumors
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
- Torsion of the ovary
- Trauma to the genitalia
- Urogenital and anorectal anomalies
- Uterine abnormalities
- Vaginal agenesis
- Vaginal bleeding before puberty
- Vaginal stenosis
- Vulvar ulcers or lesions
The Pediatric & Adolescent Gynecology Department works with specialists in other departments at Riley at IU Health to provide comprehensive care. We participate in the multidisciplinary care of girls with disorders of sexual development, endocrinologic conditions affecting puberty, menses and fertility, girls with complex cardiac conditions and girls born with structural reproductive abnormalities.
Often, gynecological care can be provided at the same time as other procedures. When necessary, general anesthesia is available for some diagnostic tests and therapeutic services for your child’s comfort. We use minimally invasive procedures such as vaginoscopy and hysteroscopy for the evaluation of the vagina and uterus when indicated and laparoscopy for the diagnosis and/or management of pelvic pain, ovarian cysts or tumors. Minimally invasive procedures allow us to use the smallest incision possible to decrease your child's time away from school, speed healing and decrease risk of infection and scar formation.
Additional services provided include:
- Hormone replacement therapy
- Pelvic Ultrasound
- Pelvic reconstructive surgery
Ranked as one of the best children's hospitals in the nation, Riley at IU Health is home to many top specialty doctors, including the only fellowship-trained pediatric and adolescent gynecologist in Indiana.
Department Forms & Resources
Department Forms & Resources
The Pediatric & Adolescent Gynecology at Riley at IU Health provides the following forms for parents, healthcare providers and personnel. We have also curated relevant resources from other websites and provided links with brief descriptions of the information that is available.
For Health Professionals
Any physician, emergency department, healthcare professional or healthcare agency may refer a patient to the pediatric gynecological care team at Riley at IU Health. We see patients at two convenient locations in Indianapolis and Carmel.
Refer A Patient
Riley at IU Health works with referring physicians in Indiana and beyond.Refer A Patient
Riley at IU Health partners with the Indiana University School of Medicine Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology to offer pediatric and adolescent gynecology training experiences for residents and fellows. A seven-week clerkship is also offered at Riley at IU Health for medical students at the IU School of Medicine.