When your child experiences a neurologic disorder or injury, the pediatric neurologists with Riley Children's Health will deliver expert diagnostic care and treatment. Our neurology team cares for children from birth to age 18. We treat a wide range of neurologic conditions, from headaches and concussions to seizures, developmental delay, neuromuscular disorders and pediatric stroke.
Our board certified neurologists will assess your child's symptoms and conditions during your first visit. Different tests may be ordered depending on your child’s specific condition. Our neurologists collaborate with many pediatric experts, including developmental pediatricians, neurosurgeons, ophthalmologists, rehabilitation specialists and psychiatrists.
Recognized for Excellence
Our pediatric neurologists are highly trained in the best avenues of care for any neurologic need your child may have. The child neurology team at Riley at IU Health works seamlessly with other teams to provide complete, comprehensive care. These pediatric experts have developed many subspecialty programs to provide your child the most advanced care.
Our staff includes pediatric and adult epileptologists who specialize in treating epilepsy and seizures. We work with the Neurosurgery Department at Riley at IU Health to provide the only comprehensive pediatric epilepsy surgery program in Indiana. Indiana University Health houses the only Level IV Specialized Epilepsy Center in the state.
Riley at IU Health is home to Indiana’s only pediatric headache program, pediatric stroke program and neurogenetics program. The only board certified pediatric headache specialist in the state directs our comprehensive Headache Program, along with a dedicated child psychologist who is trained in pediatric pain management. The only fellowship-trained pediatric stroke specialist in the state runs our stroke program.
Our Neurogenetics Program is directed by the only dually board certified pediatric neurologist/clinical geneticist in the state. Members of this program are also intimately involved with our muscular dystrophy and neurocutaneous disorders programs and are members of the national mitochondrial medicine consortium.
Finally, our Neuro-NICU Program provides leading edge, evidence-based longitudinal care to critically ill neonates with neurologic injury, seizures and other disorders.
This level of clinical excellence ranks Riley at IU Health among the top neurology and neurosurgery programs in the nation by U.S.News & World Report.
Why Riley at IU Health?
Pediatric Neurology at Riley at IU Health combines all-inclusive services with the largest pediatric neurology group in Indiana to treat brain, spinal cord and other nervous system injuries and disorders in children:
- Specialized service. Every doctor on the pediatric neurology team is trained in both pediatrics and child neurology, and each neurologist specializes in specific conditions and disorders. The team operates both general and subspecialty programs with access to other specialties as needed to treat many conditions in one location.
- Complete diagnostic resources. The neurologists and nurses with Riley Neurology at IU Health are able to perform many diagnostic tests to provide the most accurate diagnosis for your child. We provide 24-hour continuous EEG monitoring for epilepsy and seizure diagnosis and monitoring, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the brain and spinal cord and electromyography (EMG) to test nerve function. We also perform lumbar punctures and skin biopsies and use the best local and national laboratory resources.
- Pediatric genetic counseling. If your child is diagnosed with a genetic disorder of the nervous system, we offer pediatric neurogenetic counseling to help your family understand the specifics behind the disorder and how it may affect your child and family.
- Customized treatments. We provide highly specialized and effective treatments for many neurologic conditions. We work with the Pediatric Neurosurgery Department at Riley at IU Health to perform vagal nerve stimulator (VNS) surgery to help control seizures. We also train patients and families to manage epilepsy using dietary measures such as a ketogenic diet.
- Seizure surgery expertise. We are the only hospital in Indiana that performs pediatric surgery to reduce or stop frequent seizures caused by epilepsy. We care for some of the most vulnerable neurology patients. These children may experience multiple seizures every day. If your child does not respond to epilepsy medicines, we can work with the neurosurgery team to see if epilepsy surgery would be an appropriate next step. Most children who have seizure surgery are free of seizures a year or two after the procedure and may no longer need medicines.
- Coordinated care. Your child's care may benefit from the additional services provided by the IU Health Neuroscience Center. This premier center provides comprehensive neurological services in one place for a more integrated approach to care. Services provided at the IU Health Neuroscience Center include a pediatric neuropsychology program, electrodiagnostic testing and transitional care into adulthood.
Our pediatric neurologists provide expert evaluation and management of childhood neurologic disorders and use a multidisciplinary approach to give your child optimal care.
Indiana's Only Nationally Ranked Program
Riley Children’s Neurology & Neurosurgery is the only nationally ranked pediatric neurology program in the state by U.S. News & World Report. Our teams see patients from throughout the Midwest and routinely treat the most complicated issues. Committed to treating any neurological need a patient may have, the teams have developed a number of specialty programs, including headache and other chronic needs as well as the only comprehensive pediatric surgical epilepsy program in Indiana.
Conditions & Services
Our pediatric specialists provide patient- and family-centered care for most related conditions. The links below provide more specific information about some, but not all, of the conditions that we treat.
We offer a number of different Pediatric Neurology services. Below are some, but not all, of the services that we provide. If you have a question about a specific service that is not listed here, please contact our department.
Care provided through the Neurology Department is coordinated through our specialized pediatric neurology doctors.
Department Forms & Resources
Department Forms & Resources
The Pediatric Neurology at Riley at IU Health provides the following forms for parents, healthcare providers and personnel. We have also curated relevant resources from other websites and provided links with brief descriptions of the information that is available.
Related Programs & Departments
Related Programs & Departments
We provide multispecialty care for a number of conditions. Below are links to our related programs & departments.
A kindergartner is the first child in the state to receive a breakthrough drug to halt the devastating effects of Duchenne muscular dystrophy.Continue reading
As children return to school, parents and caregivers are going school shopping and planning the new routine. For some, that means arranging accommodations for students with epilepsy.Continue reading
It can be an unsettling and even scary experience if your child experiences a seizure. A seizure is a sudden increase in the brain’s electrical activity that causes involuntary movements or abnormal...Continue reading
#1 in Indiana and #3 in the MidwestContinue reading
Moyamoya specialist Dr. Rabia Qaiser gives this Riley patient a new outlook on life.Continue reading
Diagnosed with PKU at birth, Olivia Cummings has relied on her dietitian team to keep her in good health.Continue reading
#1 pediatric hospital in IndianaContinue reading
They traveled 8,000 miles to seek treatment for ongoing seizures that medication could no longer control.Continue reading
For Health Professionals
Refer A Patient
Specialists with Riley Neurology at IU Health work closely with referring physicians. Our pediatric neurologists create a long-term care plan with referring physicians so that patients can receive the best possible care close to home.Refer A Patient
The neurology specialists at Riley at IU Health participate in numerous clinical studies and research related to many pediatric neurological conditions, including neonatal seizures and stroke, autism and brain chemistry and neurofibromatosis. We work with researchers at the Indiana University School of Medicine and the IU Health Neuroscience Center. This means our patients have access to the most advanced neurologic care.
Visit the Stark Neuroscience Research Institute at the Indiana University School of Medicine for information about the latest research in the field of neurology.
Clinics operated by the Neurology Department are teaching centers where medical students and residents receive training in child neurology and take part in clinical research. Fellowships are offered in epilepsy and neuromuscular disorders. The Department of Neurology at the IU School of Medicine also provides extensive training to residents in other specialties, genetic counseling students, nursing students and visiting residents and students from other schools and programs.