The Neonatal Intensive Care Units (NICUs) at Riley Hospital for Children and IU Health Methodist Hospital are putting visitor restrictions in place starting Monday, Nov. 18th. Only visits by parents plus four designated adults identified by the parents will be allowed on the NICU floor.
Siblings and children under 18 will not be permitted. These restrictions minimize risk of infection to patients already at risk and will be in place through spring 2020.
A foreign body (or foreign object) is anything that should not be swallowed. If a foreign body is swallowed, it may become stuck along the digestive tract. Children between 1 and 3 years of age are most at risk of swallowing a foreign body, though this can happen at any age.
Symptoms of swallowing a foreign object include:
If you know your child absolutely or likely swallowed a foreign object, a pediatric gastroenterologist can perform the following exams to make a diagnosis:
If your child swallows a foreign body, his or her doctor can do the following:
If your child swallowed a battery that is present in the esophagus, it must be removed with an emergency endoscopy to avoid life-threatening burns.
Visit the websites below to find support groups and services and learn more about foreign bodies.
Riley at IU Health offers a broad range of supportive services to make life better for families who choose us for their children's care.
Learn about the symptoms of inhaling or swallowing a button battery and what to do if you believe your child has inhaled or swallowed one.
Call 1.800.222.1222 to reach the emergency telephone service and information resource center of the Indiana Poison Center, the designated Regional Poison Information Center for the state. Services are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
In addition to our primary hospital location at the Academic Health Center in Indianapolis, IN, we have convenient locations to better serve our communities throughout the state.