It's Never Too Early to Prevent Poisoning
In the past 12 months, Riley at IU Health has seen over 370 cases of child poisoning In fact, over half of all calls to the Indiana Poison Center involve children. Many times, the poisoning is due to over the counter or prescription medicines. “The most common medicines children take are over the counter pain medicines such as acetaminophen, however vitamins can also be a danger due to the iron in them,” explains Lauren Buenger, PharmD, and ER Clinical Pharmacist at Riley at IU Health.
“National Pharmacy Week — October 19-25 — is a good time to review poison prevention and clean out your own medicine cabinet, ensuring that your home is a safe place for children,” says Michael McGregory, PharmD, MBA, Director of Pharmacy at Riley at IU Health.
The most common way children get into medicine is when it is not kept locked, or when it is left in a purse that is out within reach. “A peak time for these types of poisonings is during travel times, such as during the summer or around the holidays. Many times when relatives or friends come to visit they may have medicines with them in their purse or suitcase and that can be a danger,” says Deirdre George Davis, MPH, Coordinator – Poison Prevention, Indiana Poison Center at IU Health Methodist Hospital. “Another potential hazard is when families travel to other houses that are not childproofed, such as a relative’s home.”
Keeping medicines on a high shelf is not enough. “We recommend keeping medicine in a box, such as a tackle box, with a combination lock on it,” says George Davis. “That is the safest way to keep it out of children’s hands.”
The first thing you should do if you suspect a child has ingested a medicine or other poison is to call the Indiana Poison Center at 800.222.1222. If the child is unconscious or not breathing, call 9-1-1 immediately. “They have experts who deal with this on a daily basis and they have protocols based on which medicine was taken and how much the child weighs, for example,” says George Davis. “Many times the child can be treated at home, with the advice from the poison control center.”
“If the Poison Center directs you to take your child to the ER, they will communicate with the ER and let them know what to expect and to provide any information that may help your child,” says Blake Froberg, MD, Medical Toxicologist and Pediatric Hospitalist at Riley at IU Health.
So how can you help ensure that your child won’t end up in the ER for poisoning? The following tips will keep children safe and help prevent an accidental overdose:
- Keep all medicines in the home locked in a box with a combination lock.
- Keep all medicine in its original container.
- Avoid taking a pill in front of a child and never tell a child that a medicine is candy.
- Know what is in a purse or bag and never leave items unattended when children are in the home.
- Know how much of your personal medication is left and how many doses you have taken from a container, so that if a child does take some you have a better idea of how many might have been ingested.
Adult medicines are not the only danger; be sure your child receives the correct dosage of their own medicine as well. “Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about the dosing and ask for a dosing spoon to be sure you are giving precise amounts,” says Buenger. Your pharmacist can also tell you how to correctly dispose of old, unused medicine. Some pharmacies even have programs to take back old and unused medication. For example, Marsh pharmacies are sponsoring a Clean Out Your Cabinet program starting this Friday, October 24, to collect qualifying unwanted medications for free.