5 Perfect Pets for Kids with Allergies
For many, a pet dog or cat is a defining part of childhood. TV, movies, and art are filled with images of children walking their dogs, or playing with a pet cat. For many children however, a typical pet dog or cat is not a possibility. It can be heartbreaking for a parent to tell a child who suffers with pet allergies that they just cannot have a dog or cat like their friends. Fortunately, if your child suffers from pet allergies, you do have options. Here are five perfect pets for kids with pet allergies:
- Fish. Many pet-lovers young and old have found joy in raising fish in aquariums. Building an aquarium and taking care of fish is a good way to teach children responsibility, while also giving them something beautiful to view and show off to friends.
- Reptiles. Reptiles are another option for non-furry friends. If you are a brave sort, you can raise small snakes/lizards in a terrarium. For the less daring, turtles are cute and fun.
- Birds. Birds can be a fun and beautiful pet. Whether it’s a parrot, or a canary, your children will be delighted by their feathered friend.
- Hamsters. Hamsters aren’t exactly hypoallergenic but they spend most of their time in an enclosed habitat that prevents dander from getting into the air and affecting allergy sufferers.
- Hypo-allergenic dogs and cats. Of course for that classic pet experience, you can’t go wrong with a cat or a dog. While you may not be able to get a typical cat or dog, there are hypoallergenic breeds that shouldn’t cause problems for allergy sufferers since they don’t shed. Portuguese water dogs and sphinx cats are just a few of the many breeds available that don’t cause the typical itchy eyes, runny nose, or sneezing brought upon by pet hair dander.
So whether you want something beautiful that lives in a tank, or an animal that can run, jump, and play, having allergies won’t prevent you from adopting the perfect pet for your whole family.