4 Things to Do When Your Child is Stung By a Bee
Summertime is generally a fun time for kids. When the sun’s out, kids can play outside to their hearts’ content. Unfortunately, every once in awhile, playing outside can lead to kids getting hurt. One of the more common injuries that children get while playing outside is a bee sting. Bee stings (along with hornet and wasp stings) are very unpleasant- especially for a child who hasn’t been stung before. In some cases, when a child is allergic, stings can also cause health problems. Here are four things to do when a bee stings your child:
- EpiPens. First and foremost, if your child is allergic to bee stings, you need to have their EpiPen available to them at all times. If they get stung, you need to use their EpiPen immediately. If this if your child’s first time being stung by a bee and he or she shows the symptoms of allergy (swelling, rash, inability to breathe) seek emergency assistance (call 9-1-1) immediately.
- Remove the stinger & wash. When your child is stung, the first thing you should do is remove the stinger from the wound. Use tweezers to keep from spreading the stinger throughout the wound. Once the stinger is removed, wash the wound.
- Administer ice. To help lessen pain, administer ice to the immediate area where your child has been stung.
- Baking soda and water. To diminish itchiness and help the wound heal faster, apply a mixture of baking soda and water to the sting. The consistency of the mixture should resemble a thick paste.
Overall, remain calm. Your child may have a strong emotional reaction to the pain from the sting and you will need to keep a cool head to help them. Once again- be aware of the symptoms of an allergic reaction, and be ready to jump into action if your child shows signs of having an allergic reaction to a sting.