The mission of the School Program at Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health is to serve and advocate for school-aged patients and their families. School is an important part of a child’s life. When it gets interrupted due to a hospitalization, an educational liaison will provide support to you and your child. The School Program is committed to supporting our patients’ educational plan throughout hospitalization, treatment and long-term needs. Our goal is to ensure a smooth transition back to home and school.
Our School Program supports students in kindergarten through 12th grade who come to Riley at IU Health for a variety of treatments. The School Program has a staff of eight teachers and one supervisor, all with various teaching licenses. Each Riley teacher partners with the patient’s school to provide normalcy while hospitalized and also to ensure that an appropriate education plan is put in place prior to discharge.
Our educational liaisons are committed to serving your child’s educational needs in many ways, including:
- Contacting your child’s regular classroom teacher to coordinate assignments while he/she is hospitalized. Assignments can be faxed to our office at 317.948.4588 or scanned/e-mailed to your child’s educational liaison.
- Providing 1:1 or small group tutoring, as medically appropriate.
- Submitting attendance cards to schools at discharge.
- Facilitating homebound services for qualified students who cannot return to the classroom for 20 school days or more.
- Helping to provide schools with any needed documentation for an Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan. Will your child be returning to school with restrictions, modifications, or in need of any accommodations? We help provide education to you, as well as your child’s school, on this process.
- Offering supportive services to families and schools in hopes of ensuring a smooth transition for your child back to home and school. Please ask your educational liaison about these programs:
- The Bear in the Chair Program
Our educational liaisons cover many locations at Riley at IU Health:
- Simon Family Tower
- Inpatient Behavioral Unit
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit
- Riley Outpatient Center: Hematology/Oncology Clinic and Cystic Fibrosis Clinic (advocacy and school re-entry services only)
Riley Hospital for Children at Indiana University Health
705 Riley Hospital Drive
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Refer A Patient
Physicians, healthcare providers or family members can contact the Riley Hospital for Children School Program by sending an email to email@example.com.