Providing high-quality care at Riley at IU Health takes a team of qualified professionals working together to ensure patients and families have access to the care, support and services they need while in the hospital and when returning home. Nurse case managers and social workers in our integrated care management department are an integral part of the care team.
Nurse case managers and social workers work with the medical teams on every unit at Riley at IU Health. Depending on your child’s health needs, a case manager may be assigned as part of the medical team caring for your child. The case manager will work closely with your child’s care team, helping to coordinate services he or she may need during the hospital stay and at home.
Some of the services our case managers provide include:
- Coordinating patient care from admission to discharge to ensure a safe transition to home or another healthcare facility
- Organizing and arranging necessary training and education
- Facilitating and coordinating home care needs and equipment
- Screening patients/families for healthcare needs
- Identifying needs and barriers and requesting services for community resources
- Coordinating financial resources
- Advocating for patient and individual needs
- Coordinating tests/procedures
- Ensuring outpatient follow-up appointments are scheduled
Our licensed, master’s level-trained social workers can assist with your child’s hospitalization through an assessment with you regarding your family’s specific needs. Our social work team’s goal is to provide support, intervention and resources to strengthen your family during your child’s illness and recovery.
Some of the services our social workers provide include:
- Psychosocial assessment
- Crisis intervention
- Therapeutic support
- Coordination of financial resources
- Referrals to community/state resources
- Assessment for substance abuse
- Resources for family violence and abuse
- Transition planning and problem solving
- Advocacy for patient and individual needs
- Education and navigation through the medical system
Social workers are not involved in the care of every Riley at IU Health patient. Depending on your family’s needs and circumstances, your child’s doctor, nurse or another member of the healthcare team may ask a social worker to participate as part of the care team. Any family can request a visit from a social worker at any time during their hospital stay.