The Riley Block Family Library is part of the Indianapolis Public Library Shared System. Inpatients, with a signed library card application and permission form, have access to all the materials of the Indianapolis Public Library as well as Riley Block Family Library’s collection.
The Riley Block Family Library is located on the first floor of Riley at IU Health and has two entrances:
- Simon Family Tower (on the south side of the hall near the emergency room)
- Frank and Marian Snyder Family Resource Center, next to the chapel and at the opposite end of the hall from the Ronald McDonald House at Riley at IU Health
The library is open daily from 9 am to 5 pm, Monday - Friday.
Inpatient and Outpatient (on the day of a patient visit)
- Computers with printing
- Support and medical information brochures*
- Phone chargers (within the library only)
- Wii, Wii U and Game Cube games
- View movies within the library
- Reference services
Inpatient Only Services
- Riley Reading Time on CCTV
- Drop boxes located on units as well as both entrances to the library
- Library book carts
- Readers (read to patients)
- Copy and Fax services
- Access to Indianapolis Public Library Collection
- Books for all ages available for check-out
- Movies available for check-out
- Wii games available for check-out
To apply for a library card, please fill out the permission form and library card application and send the completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org and a staff member will deliver the library card to the patient's room. With a library card, your child may check out items from the Indianapolis Public Library as well as Riley Block Family Library.
Pediatric Health Related Information and Support Websites
- Indianapolis Public Library - Pediatric Health Related Information and Support Websites (Part 1)
- Indianapolis Public Library - Pediatric Health Related Information and Support Websites (Part 2)
*Health information available at the Edward A. Block Family Library at Riley at IU Health does not replace medical instruction and education provided by a child’s physician and healthcare team. Library information supplements the ongoing education efforts of a child’s doctors, nurses and healthcare professionals. Library staff cannot provide interpretations, counseling or advice. Families should consult their child’s physician if they have questions or concerns.
Donations to the Library
Donations to the Library
Financial contributions, donations and gifts support the Block Family Library and its services. If you are interested in donating to the library, view our Donation Guidelines (PDF). If you would like to make a donation of items, please call 317.944.1149 to arrange a delivery. Online monetary donations can be made at Riley Library's Funding Page.