The Edward A. Block Family Library at Riley at IU Health offers a variety of services and amenities for patients and families. The Block Family Library is a unique offering among children’s hospitals nationwide—providing patients and families education and entertainment resources to make their time at Riley at IU Health more pleasant.
Library resources are available for both inpatients with an orange family pass and outpatients with an armband. Items may be checked out of the library for use in the hospital during an inpatient stay.
Inpatient and Outpatient (on the day of a patient visit):
- Computers with printing
- Support and medical information brochures*
- Catch the Stars Reading corner
- Phone chargers (within the library only)
- Wii, Wii U and Game Cube games
- View movies within the library
- Reference service
- Online catalog (Links to medical and support information may be accessed without an ID or password) Instructions on how to use the app can be found here.
Inpatient Only Services:
- Riley Reading Time on CCTV
- Dial a Story (317.944.1150)
- Drop boxes located on units as well as both entrances to the library
- Library book carts
- Readers (read to patients)
- Copy and Fax services
- Mobile app "Library Trek" (to put items on hold/reserve an ID and password will be needed) Items will be delivered to the patients as soon as there is staff available. Instructions on how to use the app can be found here.
Items for Inpatient checkout (patients in isolation cannot check out books or magazines due to the fact the pages cannot be washed, they may check out all other items) however, patients in isolation may choose books from a free card and keep them.
- Books for all ages
- Music CD's
- Wii games
The Block Family Library is located on the first floor of Riley at IU Health and has two entrances:
- Simon Family Tower entrance (on the south side of the hall near the emergency room)
- Frank and Marian Snyder Family Resource Center, next to the chapel and at the opposite end of the hall from the Ronald McDonald House at Riley at IU Health
- Mobile App: download "library trek" and connect to Riley Block Family Library
- Google Play Store
Donations to the Library
Financial contributions, donations and gifts support the Block Family Library and its services. If you are interested in donating to the library, view our Donation Guidelines and Wish List. Donations can be made at the North entrance to the hospital at 705 Riley Hospital Dr. Pull up to the front entrance and put your flashers on. Stop at the Information Desk, and let them know you have a donation for the library. Please fill out a donation form for your records and put one with the donation. Online monetary donations can be made at Riley Library's Funding Page.
If you need special assistance with your donation please call the library at 317.944.1149.
* Health information available at the Edward A. Block Family Library at Riley at IU Health does not replace medical instruction and education provided by a child’s physician and healthcare team. Library information supplements the ongoing education efforts of a child’s doctors, nurses and healthcare professionals. Library staff cannot provide interpretations, counseling or advice. Families should consult their child’s physician if they have questions or concerns.