How Indy Moms Act as Healthy Role Models for Their Families
Earlier this year, Indiana University Health conducted the 2015 Indy Moms Survey. We asked 280 Indianapolis area moms about their health and the health and wellness of their families. One thing IU Health learned is that Indy Moms believe that they are essential health role models for their families. 80% of moms said that when they eat healthy, their kids were more likely to eat healthy. 74 percent said that when they lived an active lifestyle, their kids did to.
We asked five local moms how they acted as healthy role models for their families.
Question: What are a few ways you positively influence your family’s daily health & wellness?
- Casey M. I make sure my family eats well-balanced meals. I keep my kids educated on what foods are healthy and good for them. Fruits and veggies are their first snacks. I don’t allow my kids to have videos games and encourage them to play outside and be active. Keeping our kids on a routine schedule so that they get enough rest and downtime.
- Katy A. We limit screen time, have family dinners every night and schedule family nights where only the five of us do something together.
- Julie B. We buy pre-made meals with healthy ingredients and good cuts of meat and fish. This limits the amount we eat out as a family. I also have my kids on a vitamin that is made of whole fruits and veggies that supports their overall health. We limit screen time and have them play outside or use their imagination indoors. We spend time as a family doing outdoor activities; things like swimming, boating, riding bikes, and going for walks.
- Gretchen W. I believe the best way to influence my daughters’ healthy eating and exercise is to lead by example.
- Kristi S. Being a good role model. My kids know I like to exercise and they have asked me why. I always tell them that I want to be healthy for myself and for them. They also ask why I don't eat desserts- and my answer is the same. I also pre-make all of my meals for the week and have them written on a calendar. I do all grocery shopping on the weekends so that we don't have to pick up anything to eat during the week and always have healthy options available.