8 Healthy Breakfast for You & Your Family
You’ve heard the saying: breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It’s absolutely true that a healthy breakfast is key to starting your day off with the energy you need to keep your mind and body sharp.
With our on-the-go lifestyles, it can seem easier to hand your child a pre-packaged or sugary breakfast. A healthy breakfast doesn’t have to be boring or take a long time to make. Skip the cereal this morning and go for something a little more exciting. Just keep in mind that a healthy breakfast includes a balance of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.
Here are eight healthy breakfast ideas to try:
- English muffin mini pizza. Top English muffin with a sliced hard-boiled egg, tomato and grated mozzarella cheese; bake or toast in a toaster oven.
- Half of a whole grain bagel topped with low-fat cream cheese and favorite fruit. Try raspberries or blueberries together.
- Whole grain toast topped with peanut butter and bananas.
- Strawberry Banana smoothie. Blend together yogurt, bananas, strawberries and orange juice.
- Yogurt parfait. Top nonfat yogurt with fresh fruit and granola in an alternating pattern in a glass dish.
- Breakfast taco. Put scrambled egg, cheddar cheese and red or green pepper in a tortilla shell and serve as a taco.
- Whole grain muffins with chocolate chips. Bake chocolate chips into your favorite whole grain muffins.
- Cereal trail mix. Use your favorite whole grain cereals, one with cinnamon, and add raisins and nuts. Serve in pre-mixed bags for a quick, on-the-go breakfast or snack.