Cool House on the Block: Healthy Halloween Treats Kids Will Love
Every neighborhood has a cool house on Halloween. This house normally gives out better treats than everybody else. You remember: they gave out full-sized candy bars or possibly a handful of candy instead of just one piece. As an adult, you may want the kids in your neighborhood to think your house is the cool one. You may also want to give out healthier treats. Here are some treats you can give out that kids will love, and that are also good for them:
- Dark chocolate. For a healthier alternative to regular candy, hand out dark chocolate. It has fewer calories and carbohydrates than regular chocolate.
- Honey sticks. Many stores sell honey sticks- plastic tubes filled with honey. Honey is a sweet favorite for many kids and provides a unique treat for the kids who come to your house on Halloween.
- Packets of peanut butter or almond butter. You can also buy individual packets of peanut butter or almond butter as a healthy alternative to candy. Remember- some kids are allergic to peanuts and tree nuts so if you choose this option, provide something different for kids who might be allergic.
- Toys. Instead of candy, why not hand out toys? Get toys similar to what you might hand out at a birthday party- yo-yos, bubbles, jacks- kids love toys and they last a lot longer than candy.
- Granola bars. Finally, if you really want to hand out something sweet, try granola bars. Granola bars are healthier than candy and provide much of the same flavor.
To really become the cool house on the block, hand out one of the above, and also go all out with your costume and decorations. Turn your home into a haunted house and find a scary costume to wear as you hand out healthy treats.