Beating Boredom at Home During COVID-19
While everyone is staying home, your kids might start to become bored and frustrated by doing the same things every day. Thankfully, there are many online resources available to help beat boredom at home.
Museum at Home
While businesses are closed and activities canceled, it can seem stressful to create new activities for your kids stuck at home every day. The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis is now offering the ‘Museum at Home’ to help educate and entertain your children during this unique time. The Museum at Home features updated videos, blogs and live chats for the entire family to find something they enjoy. The museum is also hosting Facebook Live events weekdays at 10am featuring different topics.
Staying Virtually Connected
It's also important to allow your kids to stay connected with those who matter to them - even in a time of social distancing. Using online tools such as FaceTime or Skype to connect with friends for a virtual play date or other family members such as grandparents can help with keeping your kids entertained but also connected to those they care about. Older children and teenagers may continue to use social sites and apps such as Facebook, Snapchat or TikTok to stay connected with their friends.
To help keep your kids busy and learning in a fun way, our School Program has curated a list of online resources. These resources can help with schoolwork by grade level as well as offering some fun activities for the whole family.
- ABC Mouse: Early learning for ages 2 – 8. Multiple subject areas. Free 30-day trial.
- Getepic.com: Full library of leveled reading books. Free 30-day trial.
- ABCya: Reading and math games and activities for K – 6th graders. A wonderful variety of topics are covered in these games and activities. Free resource.
- Starfall: Reading and math activities for K – 3. There are some free activities in both subjects, but to access everything you would have to purchase a subscription.
- Story Online: Free stories online read by celebrities.
- Homeschool for Me: Free worksheets that are printable and online games for all subjects. Free resource.
- Brain Pop Jr.: Free educational and interactive videos and games for all ages. There are games to go along with all topics and you can even create assessments.
- Mystery Science: K – 5 science lessons.
- Scholastic: Fun day-by-day projects to keep the brain working.
- Bedtime Math: Daily math problems posted for a quick five minutes of math fun.
- Ask Rose: Student tutors from Rose Hulman University. Math or science help via live chat, email or phone. Hours are 7 – 10 pm.
- Crash Course: This is a Youtube video library full of educational topics such as literature, essay writing, biology, physics, chemistry and even study tips.
- Kahn Academy: Online instructional/tutorial videos for K – 12 for all subject areas. Free.
- Wolfram Alpha: High-level math and science help. Shows step-by-step process for how to answer questions and solve for variables. Has chemistry, physics and engineering help, as well.
- Symbollab: High-level math calculator that shows step by step when getting answers.
- Mathway: Live chat for any math help needed.
- Muffalo Potato: This is a fun drawing website. Children can learn to draw different pictures using only letters and numbers via fun episodes with Muffalo and John.
- Awake and Mindful: Yoga videos for children
- Kidz Bop: Fun dancing music videos. These are also available on YouTube.
- Drawing with Mo Willems: Fun doodles with children’s book author Mo Willems.
- Google Arts & Culture: Virtual tours of museums and other amazing places all over the world.
- Breathing Exercises for Children: Breathing exercises to help us stay calm, relieve our stressors and focus.
The Indianapolis Colts are also offering Family Fun & Fitness resources where players, coaches, cheerleaders and mascot "Blue" are providing kids and families with fun ways to learn, keep physically and mentally fit and stay healthy.
We know that this is a unique and potentially stressful time for you and your family and want to be here to support you in any way we can.