Back to School & the Breakfast Battle
As kids around Indiana head back to school, parents often gear up for a breakfast battle. Making a healthy breakfast that your children will love is challenging enough. It’s even more challenging when your family is going in a million different directions as adults prepare for work and kids prepare for school. Here are five breakfasts that are healthy, fast and delicious.
- Overnight oatmeal. One of the best ways to win the breakfast battle is making breakfast ahead of time. Before you go to bed, mix oatmeal, fruit, milk (or your favorite dairy alternative) and maple syrup or honey in a mason jar. Cover and refrigerate. In the morning, heat it up for a tasty treat that you can eat on the go.
- Yogurt and fruit. Yogurt is high in protein and fiber. Buy yogurt and mix it with sweet berries or bananas for a delicious and healthy breakfast.
- Make ahead egg sandwiches. If you get time on the weekend, buy whole grain English muffins, eggs and a slice of tomato. Make breakfast sandwiches, and refrigerate them. All you need to do each morning is pop a few in the microwave and everyone can be on their way with a nutritious breakfast.
- Whole grain toast with preserves. Bread with jelly or jam is about as simple of a breakfast as you’ll find. Find your favorite preserve, add to toast and you’re on your way.
- Hard-boiled eggs and a banana. Just like egg sandwiches, if you have time on the weekend, hard boil a dozen or so eggs, and put them in the fridge. Hand out an egg and a banana each morning for healthy protein and carbohydrates to keep your family going till lunchtime.