Back to School: 5 Healthy Lunch Ideas
School is now in full swing and it’s time to start packing brown bag lunches for your kids. If you’re looking to move beyond peanut butter and jelly and want to sub in some healthier fare (that your kids will eat up and enjoy) here are five healthy lunch ideas.
- Smoked turkey wraps. Turkey has fewer calories and less fat than deli meats like bologna and ham. Put turkey, veggies, and maybe even a little cheese in a whole wheat wrap for a delicious and healthy lunch for your kids.
- Popcorn. Chips are loaded with sodium and oil, but kids love them. So what’s a parent to do? Replace them with something else that kids love- popcorn. Popcorn is healthy as long as you don’t load it up with butter or oil, and is a tasty, kid-friendly treat.
- Tuna and avocado sandwiches. Tuna sandwiches are a staple of school lunches. You can make them healthier by subbing out mayonnaise and replacing it with avocado. Avocado is full of healthy fats, and has a texture that’s similar to mayo with a flavor that will make your kids say “yum.”
- Fruit salad. Buy your kids’ favorite fruit, and chop it up into bite-sized pieces. Mix it up, put it into a small plastic container, and voila- you have dessert your kids will really enjoy that is also good for them- full of nutrients and healthy carbohydrates.
- Kid friendly sushi. Sushi may not be the first food that springs to mind when you think of kid-friendly foods, but kids like rice, and they like vegetables. Make sushi at home, or buy it at the grocery store. If your kids don’t like fish, buy vegetarian sushi rolls. You may be surprised when your kids come home asking you for more.