Back to School: 5 Healthy After School Snacks
When your kids come home from school, it is likely that they will be hungry. If dinner isn’t going to be ready for a while, they may want a snack. It’s important to keep your home stocked with healthy treats to help your children keep their energy up throughout the day. Here are five healthy after school snacks that are easy to prepare and are sure to keep your kids happy until dinnertime.
- Apple slices. Cutting apples into slices and dusting them lightly with cinnamon creates a delicious treat. Any kind of fruit makes a great afternoon snack, but apples tend to be a crowd pleaser with kids.
- Yogurt and granola. Plain yogurt mixed with honey, berries and granola provides a snack that is loaded with protein and fiber. This snack will keep your kids going through afternoon activities, homework and anything else that they may need to do.
- Trail mix. For a healthy, balanced snack; mix nuts, raisins and a little chocolate. Kids will love the salty sweet combo so much that they may not even realize that what they’re eating is good for them.
- Pineapple skewers. Take the skewers that you’d normally use for grilled kebabs, add a few pineapple chunks on the skewers and you have a fruity snack that’s perfect for kids.
- Hummus and sliced vegetables. Slice up carrots, celery and bell peppers, and open a package of hummus for your kids. Hummus is another protein rich snack, and vegetables are one of the healthiest snacks you can eat.
In addition, make sure your kids drink a glass of water with their snack to stay hydrated throughout the afternoon.