5 Successful Hoosier Moms Share Their Stress Reduction Secrets
To learn what’s important to Indy moms and provide the best health advice to improve your family’s daily lives, Indiana University Health conducted the 2015 Indy Moms Survey. We asked 280 Indianapolis area moms about their health and the health and wellness of their families. We asked Indy moms what they would change about their health and wellness if they could. The most common answer was stress. In fact, 81 percent of moms surveyed said they wished that they could reduce stress in their lives.
To help moms solve this problem, we spoke to five Indianapolis area moms about what they do to reduce stress.
Question: What are ways you reduce personal stress throughout your week?
- Casey M. I make sure to take downtime when my kids take downtime. I sit down and read a book, pray or do something just for me. I believe it’s important we all take naptime. When my kids are napping I take time to do something for myself such as read, write letters to friends or just relax. A few times a week or month I make sure to take time to get out of the house with my group of friends and walk around the neighborhood.
- Katy A. Most mornings, I spend 5 minutes being still. I can’t quite call it meditation but it helps me to tune out clutter and focus on my day. I also try to get up from my desk and take a walk (indoors or outside.)
- Julie B. Before my kids wake up, early in the morning, I read or study the Bible. I run with friends two or three times a week and take fitness classes one-two times a week. I make pre-made meals to thaw and have readily available so there is no stress about "what's for dinner?"
- Gretchen W. Exercise helps me to reduce stress in my week. I also try to stay organized with school paperwork, utilize a family calendar and return papers/pay bills/etc. in a timely manner.
- Kristi S. Work out. I have a "sacred" workout with girls that I do on Wednesday evenings. It's my only weekday evening away from the kids, and it's only an hour. It gives me something to look forward to and I always feel better about taking the time out for myself!