5 Simple Changes to Make Your Family's Diet Healthier
Feeding your family is a full time job. Making healthy meals when you’re on a budget and time is limited can be a real challenge. There are a few simple changes that you can make to your everyday diet that will make your family more healthy right away.
- Drink more water. Keeping your family hydrated will keep them healthy. If you get bored with plain water, add fruits like lemon, lime or strawberries to flavor water.
- Serving proteins and veggies instead of starches. Many of the calories and carbohydrates in a typical meal are located in the starch: bread, rice, potatoes, noodles, etc. To lower your intake of starches and calories, trying serving more lean proteins and veggies, and less starch.
- Limit snacks to veggies, fruit, seeds and nuts. Many snacks are high sugar and unhealthy preservatives. Replace unhealthy snacks with veggies, fruits, seeds and nuts to make your family healthier. When you are shopping at the grocery store, shop around the edges of the store. Most of the unhealthy snacks are in the aisles- the healthy food is in the front, back and sides of the store.
- Cut down the sugar. Try some simple steps to lower the amount of sugar in your diet. Take your coffee black. Eat fruit for dessert instead of cake or ice cream. Sugary foods are some of the least healthy foods for you. Replacing them with lower-sugar alternatives is an important step in getting your family healthy.
- Make your meals more colorful. In nature, foods with brighter colors tend to be higher in nutritional value. Add deep green vegetables, brightly colored fruits, and colorful lean meats to your diet to increase your family’s overall nutritional intake.
- Let's Move! Parents and caregivers can set a great example for the whole family by creating a healthy environment at home.