5 Quick & Easy Breakfasts To Give Your Kids Before They Head Out the Door
According to the 2015 Indy Moms Survey conducted by IU Health, 84 percent of moms in Indianapolis believe that time constraints make it harder for their families to be healthier. This can be particularly true first thing in the morning as parents and kids rush to get to work and school respectively. Many will skip breakfast, or eat an unhealthy breakfast to save time. Here are five quick and easy breakfasts that busy moms can hand to their kids as they walk out the door.
- Fruit. A piece of fruit like a banana or an apple takes no preparation, is delicious, and can give your children the energy they need to make it through the morning.
- Peanut butter on whole wheat toast. Low sugar peanut butter and whole-wheat toast are a healthy combination. Kids love peanut butter and you can toast bread in a matter of minutes. Add some raisins or slices of your favorite fruit to make it a more complete breakfast.
- Healthy shakes. If you want to up your healthy game, throw a few strawberries or blueberries and plain yogurt into a blender and give it your kids. Try different combinations of ingredients to find out which shakes are your family’s favorites.
- Yogurt and granola. Another tasty treat you can throw together in minutes: take healthy plain yogurt, toss in some granola, stir and go. If you need a little extra sweetness add some fruit or just a touch of honey.
- Hard-boiled eggs. Hard-boiled eggs are protein-packed, portable, and can be cooked well ahead of time. Cook some up over the weekend, put them in the fridge, and hand them to your kids as they walk out the door.
Visit our nutrition page to find out more about nutrition at each stage of development.