5 Moms Share How They Stay Active Even with Busy Schedules
This year, Indiana University Health conducted the 2015 Indy Moms Survey. We asked 280 Indianapolis area moms about their health and the health of their families. Our goal was to learn what’s important to Indy moms in order to provide the best health advice to improve your family’s daily lives. Many moms said that time is one of their biggest challenges in living a healthy lifestyle. In fact, 84 percent of moms surveyed said that time constraints make it harder for their family to be healthier.
To help moms solve this problem, we spoke to five Indianapolis area moms about how they stay fit with a busy schedule.
Question: How do you stay fit and balance your busy schedule?
- Casey M. I make sure that we eat healthy on a regular basis. Well-balanced dinners. Incorporating fitness into everyday activities including staying on my feet, family activities, walking our neighborhood or to the zoo. Mondays we have family bike rides. Another way I stay active is to make sure I play outside with my kids including kickball in our backyard.
- Katy A. If I don’t make my health a priority then it doesn’t happen. The only thing that I am willing to sacrifice is sleep so I get up early a couple of days each week to force myself to exercise.
- Julie B. Get up early and get it in before my kids wake up at 7 a.m.
- Gretchen W. Encouragement and support from my spouse helps me to balance our busy schedule. I have a running partner in our neighborhood who also motivates me to make time to run.
- Kristi S. I wear a pedometer and try to focus on getting in 10,000 steps per day. Especially on days that I cannot work out, it makes me get up at work and take a lap around the building and park farther away. I try to work out on the weekends and then get in my Wednesday night workout. When my son is at soccer, I jog around his soccer field. I am very lucky because my office just put in a workout room. I have been going there once or twice a week right before I go home. It's hard for me to get motivated once I am home, so getting this done first is key for me!