10 Inexpensive, Healthy Alternatives for Your Regular Groceries
Maintaining your family grocery budget is a tricky proposition. You need to get enough food to feed your whole family at a price you can afford. Adding on the extra challenge of buying healthy food, which is often more expensive, can make things even more difficult.
Here are 10 inexpensive healthy alternatives for your regular groceries:
- Turkey Burger for Hamburger. Ground turkey is leaner, and has fewer calories than hamburger. It’s also high in protein.
- Oatmeal for Cereal. Sugary cereals are terrible for your health. Take them out of your cart and replace them with sugar-free oatmeal.
- Frozen Fruit for Fresh Fruit. Fruit is delicious and good for you, but expensive. Frozen fruit is often less expensive, and less likely to spoil.
- Soda Water for Soda. Soda is loaded with corn syrup and other sweeteners. Sub it out with soda water. Mix soda water with fruit for sweetness.
- Whole Wheat Bread for White Bread. The price of whole wheat bread is usually pretty close to the price of white bread. Whole wheat bread is more nutritious, and often lower in calories than white bread.
- Low-Fat Frozen Yogurt for Ice Cream. Low-fat frozen yogurt is a tasty treat with fewer calories, and less sugar than ice cream.
- Chicken Sausage for Pork Sausage. Getting healthy doesn’t mean giving up all of your favorites. Chicken sausage is inexpensive and usually tastes just as good as pork sausage.
- Skim Milk for Milk. Skim milk and whole milk are usually relatively close in price. Skim milk has fewer calories and nearly as much protein as whole milk.
- Raisins for Candy. Candy is pricey and also pretty unhealthy. Replace it with dried fruit like raisins.
- Water for Juice. Finally, ditch sugary juices and drink water instead. Simply get water from the tap at your home, or buy inexpensive bottled water.